“Servant-leadership is all about making the goals clear and then rolling your sleeves up and doing whatever it takes to help people win. In that situation, they don’t work for you, you work for them.” Ken Blanchard
Here are some things that might be helpful to leaders.
- Having a leadership role or position doesn’t mean you are leading well or at all.
- Leaders do leadership work. If you can’t describe the work of a leader, there is a good chance or are not doing it intentionally, purposefully or effectively.
- If you don’t know the work a leader should do, figure it out quick. (keep reading ) Then do it well.
- Leadership is not about personality or qualities. Leaders come in different shapes, sizes, styles and personalities. Don’t by into the garbage that you have to BE a certain type of person to lead well. Some great leaders have charisma other don’t. Some are extreme risk takers other are cautious. It’s not who you are but what you do that makes you as a leader.
- Leaders are defined by one thing; they have enthusiastic, motivated followers. If no one is following you, you are not a leader. Sorry. Oh, and just because you have employees, doesn’t mean you are leading well. You might simply be coercing people to do what you want with a paycheck. Ouch.
- Leaders understand what people want and need. They understand what motivates people. They find solutions, causes and missions that matter to people. Then people will follow them
- Leader work on finding opportunities to make something better that matters to people. Tell your people that you desire to create an extraordinary work environment and you will get their attention. Working on making it happen and they will follow and support you.
- Leaders work hard at defining vision and direction. It is the work they do!
- Once the leader has defined the vision and direction, they continually and consistently communicate in a variety of ways, methods and manners in order the reach their audience. They keep going until people get it!
Want to find out if you are leading well? Take the Level 7 Suitability Assessment Now.